Tourist Attractions

Monastery of Panagia Hozoviotissa

There are 300 steps that separate the visitor from the entrance to the monastery. Another 900 years separate him from the monastery’s establishment. That which unites everyone no matter who visits the monastery is the awe and the admiration for this important work, a memorial hymn for the human faith and will. In a rough landscape of unbelievable beauty and wildness, loyal people overcame their weaknesses and managed what today is known as a small miracle.

Built upon steep rock cliffs it hangs into an abyss as if touched by the hand of God.

Monastiri-Hozoviotissa

The monastery was built in 1088 and was renovated by the Byzantine emperor Alexio Komnino. The reason for the erection of the monastery was the finding of an icon of the Virgin Mary, which arrived from Chosovo or Chosova in Palestine. Chosivas or Koziva’s location is found in the Holy lands near Jericho. The persecutions of the Christians in the 9th Century brought as by miracle the icon to Amorgos, a location that is said to have been chosen by the Virgin Mary herself.

The renovation and whitewash of the walls all these years have covered important information about the history of the Monastery. During the Venetian rule (1296-1537) many changes and expansions were made leaving behind hints of western influence. Not even during Turkish rule (1537-1824) was the monastery’s prosperity interrupted. Its fortune allowed the bribery of its religious freedom from the Turkish Pashas. The monastery had shares of Crete, Lero, Naxos, Paros, and Astipalaia as well as the desert islands Kero, Nikouria and Grampoussa.

The Building

Its definition plain.

Austure lanky lines are in tune with the surrounding area.

Even the recent buildings don’t alter the characteristic structure. It is 40m in length though its width is 5m. Narrow rocky steps lead to the 8 floors and unite parts of the monastery. Its arches are built with flint brought from Milos. The use of wood suggests the existence of forest in the area (particularly forests with certain types of cypress trees).

Monastiri-Hozoviotissa2

The monastery is composed of the monks’ cells, the treasury, the kitchen, its ovens, its storage rooms, rooms for the bread baking, cellars for wines, rooms for the earthenware jars with oil as well as the lime pits and the wells.

The furnaces and the cook houses do not function anymore, although the treasury opens to the faithful on the 21st November during the Presentation of the Virgin Mary.

In 1977 three small cells were combined and visitors can now admire some of the Monastery’s heirlooms while at the same time enjoying the citrus and marshmallow treats.

The movie

All it took were some scenic plans from Luc Besson, specifically a panoramic view of the Monastery for viewers to be fascinated. The movie and the plot were lost in memories of film festivals, the heroes faded and were forgotten, but people were met with one of the rarest, most moving and powerful places in the world.

When you come across a peaceful sea and get a birds eye view from the Monastery, then the expression “the big blue” is not just a cliche, it is something more than that. It is you.

Easter in Amorgos

For those who like to hike then they can follow the procession of the Virgin Mary’s icon from the Monastery to the villages of Aigialis and back.

It is a 6-hour walk through the old lanes of the island, a hymn to nature and faith.

Minoa

Minoa, a colony of the Samians, is one of Amorgos’s ancient cities. Located on the south slope of mount Moudoulia, near Katapola, it has been identified in 1837 by the Bavarian Hellenist Ludwig Ross. Earliest habitation here dates from the late 5th millennium BC. There is no information regarding the 2nd millennium BC, whereas habitation is uninterrupted from the 10th century BC up to the early 4th century AD, when the settlement was finally deserted. We have building remnants dating from the Geometric period, when the settlement was fortified. From the Archaic and Classical periods there are only some portable findings.

minoa-amorgos

The settlement flourished and its planning also changed during Hellenistic Times, where most remains date from. During Roman Times, the positions of the centre and the road network changed. Minoa’s Acropolis includes the Geometrica wall, the settlement and the temple. A small gate and a 2.40 m high rampart are extant at the northeastern part of the walls, whereas a second rampart is still extant to the southeast. The settlement is located on the Acropolis’s south and southwestern slope platforms, and includes rock-hewn rectangular buildings. Habitation was uninterrupted from the 8th century BC up to the 2nd century AD. The foundation of the sanctuary inside the Acropolis dates from the 8th century BC; the sanctuary was used continuously up to the 4th century AD. It consists of a temple-like building and a precinct. The god worshipped there up to the 6th century BC is still unknown, but the sanctuary was later devoted to Dionysus. During Hellenistic Times, Dionysus was equated with Egyptian god Sarapis, who was then worshipped there.

The tower of Agia Triada

The tower of Agia Triada – or tower of Vasilis – is the best-preserved ancient monument on Amorgos and the best-preserved tower of that kind in the Cyclades. It is located in the district of Arkesini, near the settlement “sto Chorio”, built on a low hill. It is a fortified residence with a rectangular tower (5.60 m high nowadays) and a yard (25.31 x 11.40 m). Although already known since the 19th century thanks to the Bavarian Hellenist Ludwig Ross, the monument has not yet been excavated. In the yard, we can still see remnants of walls marking the different rooms. What is known from the interior of the tower is a stone staircase leading up to the first floor, as well as some triangular windows and two conches. Mobile findings evince this site was used from the 3rd millennium BC up to the Modern times. The tower itself dates approximately from the late 4th century BC. Remnants of farm houses dating from the 4th century BC up to the 7th century AD have been found to the east of the tower, as well as a building complex of the Modern period, also used in farming activities.

This was obviously a defensive tower, as demonstrated by its meticulous masonry, solid construction and the elevated building. Thanks to its location, it could control access to both Arkesini and its port, and also communicate with other towers through a system of light signals. At the same time, it protected the surrounding farmhouses and was an organized residence with storage rooms for farming products and tools. Who built it is still unknown, but it was most likely built by some wealthy resident of Arkesini, since the city during Hellenistic Times, as demonstrated by inscriptions, could not afford to erect such buildings.

TripAdvisor

Contact Details

Katapola, Amorgos
Phone: +306978948458
Website: http://portokatapola.gr
Email: portokatapola@gmail.com